Confirmed Stars Edit
Avengers and Earth-Based Superheroes
- Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark / Iron Man
- Chris Evans as Steve Rogers / Captain America
- Chris Hemsworth as Thor
- Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanov / Black Widow
- Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton / Hawkeye
- Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner / The Hulk
- Elizabeth Olson as Wanda Maximoff / The Scarlett Witch
- Paul Bettany as The Vision
- Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson / The Falcon
- Paul Rudd as Scott Lang / Ant-Man
- Tom Holland as Peter Parker / Spider-Man
- Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa / Black Panther
- Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes / The Winter Soldier
- Benedict Cumberbatch as Stephen Strange / Doctor Strange
- Evangeline Lilly as Hope Pym / The Wasp (second film only)
Guardians of the Galaxy
- Chris Pratt as Peter Quill / Star-Lord
- Zoe Saldana as Gamora
- Dave Bautista as Drax
- Pom Klementieff as Mantis
- Karen Gillan as Nebula
- Rocket, played on-set by Sean Gunn, later to be voiced by Bradley Cooper
- Groot, later to be voiced by Vin Diesel
- Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury
- Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill
- Benedict Wong as Wong
- Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie
- Peter Dinklage in an officially undisclosed role (undoubtedly Pip the Troll)
- Josh Brolin as Thanos
- Benicio Del Toro as The Collector
- Terry Notary as an unnamed motion capture character, Thanos' right-hand-man
- Don Cheadle as Jim Rhodes / War Machine
- Brie Larson as Carl Danvers / Captain Marvel
- Tom Hiddleston as Loki
- Idris Elba as Heimdall
Prior to filming, it was announced that actor Aaron Lazar would be an on-set stand-in for Benedict Cumberbatch until the latter finishes filming his film The Current War.
Filming started on January 23rd, around the same time as Chris Hemsworth’s film Horse Soldiers, indicating he would not be available for some time.
Filming started simulatneously with Marvel's Black Panther, also at Pinewood Studios in Atlanta. At the time, it was not confirmed that Chadwick Boseman would be in this film.
Jeremy Renner was forced to opt out of reprising his role as William Brandt in Mission: Impossible 6, to film his part.
In February, a month into the shoot and during the Guardians of the Galaxy's time on set, Michael Rooker tweeted out a selfie of himself in Peachtree, Georgia, about 20 minutes out from the set of the film, and wearing the film’s official hat. Given the characters’ demise at the end of Infinity War, this has since led to confusion. This was during a time before the release of Guardians 2, in which every other Guardian was being confirmed as being in the film. To leave Rooker out of this would have led to suspicion of his character's fate, so it's possible Marvel flew him out to Georgia just to take this picture to mislead people.
Principal photography began on January 23rd 2017, at Pinewood Studios near Atlanta, GA. One set used that day appears to be an alien landscape against a green screen
Filming on the first day were Robert Downey Jr., Tom Holland, Chris Pratt, and Dave Bautista (so, presumably the rest of the Guardians as well)
Chris Evans still had his beard at the Oscars on Feb. 24, suggesting he had not started filming yet. (Although with Cap on the run, it's always possible that he grew a beard)
Filming finished in Atlanta after only four weeks, with filming in Scotland beginning on Feb. 28.
On March 29th Jeremy Renner tweeted a picture of himself on a plane heading to start filming
In late April, Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany were both seen on set.
Around the end of April, Chris Pratt stated that he was almost done filming for the first part. Zoe Saldana suggested that filming was done for the Guardians in Part 1, but that they’d all be returning for Part 2 later on. (evidently after Pratt films the Jurassic World sequel, which, perplexingly, began in February)
Also in late April, Chris Evans was finally spotted onset, while on the 30th, Anthony Mackie tweeted remarks that he was apparently done with his filming in Scotland.
Chris Hemsworth and Mark Ruffalo were spotted filming in early May. That first week of May, filming went south to England for a sequence shot at Durham Cathedral. Hemsworth was seen filming with a stand-in puppet for Rocket. The set seemed to recreate the setting of Thor's vision in Avengers: Age of Ultron. Rumors began that Robert Downey Jr. and Samuel L. Jackson were also filming there.
On Jun. 8th, Chadwick Boseman tweeted that he was joining the cast, using a picture of his on-set chair along with Chris Evans' and Scarlet Johansson's.
On June 16th, Benedict Cumberbatch arrived onset, as announced in a tweet.
On Tuesday, June 21st, Robert Downey Jr. tweeted a picture of himself, Benedict Cumberbatch, Mark Ruffalo, and Benedict Wong eating together, showing that these four were filming at that time.